Friday, September 11, 2009

Deep, Dark Woods


We're in the thick of it now. With a week before tech we're coming to the end of our exploratory rehearsal time. As always with things like this, the time feels too short, I think I can speak for everybody when I say this group loves to explore and talk and experiment, and would be perfectly happy to do just that for the next three weeks!

But regardless we're jumping into our first real run through this week and I'm excited to see what kind of shape our hard work is taking. I've been returning again and again to a certain metaphor in rehearsal this week (ask any one in our cast about my metaphors. I tend to either hit the nail on the head with them, or produce some odd expressions) about the deep dark woods. I am probably returning to the idea because of the dramaturgical research our assistant director Caitlin has been generously providing about Mouse's strong ties to a fairy tale structure. I've found the image well suited to this play. Certain scenes seem to lend themselves to the different parts of the Forest, scene seven for example is the deepest darkest part, and scene three a clearing ringed in shadowy under growth. We've also been talking about how these characters pick a path through the woods and then find themselves willingly or unwillingly lead astray in the arc of a scene or in the play as a whole. Much the same things can be said of our rehearsal process it seems to me. And equipped with all the tools necessary to venture deeper, I am excited to strike out into new territory in the coming week and see where the path leads us!

Daria Davis
Company Member and
Director of Mouse in a Jar

Mouse in a Jar runs October 5-31, 2009

No comments: