Friday, April 16, 2010

The Story of Helen: Meet Amanda Newman

Where are you from?
I grew up on the south side of Milwaukee and finished out my high school years in the suburbs. And yes, beer and cheese are two of my fave food groups.


What do you do when you're not performing?

I spend my time taking as many dance classes as possible. I also have my own part-time sewing/design business "A-Train Originals" and I really enjoy cooking. Lately, I've been into 'feng shui-ing' my apartment when I have time.


What is your favorite moment in The Love of the Nightingale?

My favorite line is when Tereus says "How could I know what love was? Who was there to teach me?" To me it concisely addresses the topics of love, responsbility and forgiveness that I see in the play.


Any standout rehearsal moments?

I really enjoyed the table work and devling into the script with the entire cast. I've been performing as a dancer and haven't been in a play for years so it was such a pleasure to get back into nitty gritty text analysis.


What's a fun fact about your character?

As Procne's elder, Helen can empathize with Procne and feels the duty to support her. But Helen loses her patience when Procne's Thracian snobbery and "I'm-the-Queen-so-I-can-do-whatever-I-want" attidute results in rude interruptions of the important work of silent dancing. "Me, me, me, me, me"... seriously Procne, get a grip.


The Love of the Nightingale runs May 3-29.



No comments: