Thursday, April 23, 2009

Meet the Cast! - Robert A. Lynch


Part one in a series of interviews with the cast of An Enemy of the People at Red Tape Theatre.

Name: Robert A. Lynch

Role: Peter Stockman, Mayor of Cherokee

Where are you from?
Born and raised in Chicago, IL.

When/why did you start acting?
I started "acting" in church related plays when I was 9 or 10 years old. I vaguely remember playing one of the wise men in a Christmas play and delivering my lines with vigor. I also had a stint in our school's production of the HMS Pinafore. I didn't actively pursue acting, however, until six years ago when I enrolled in my first Second City class. After completing level E, I took a Meissner-based acting class to prepare for Second City's Conservatory program and was hooked.

On a side note, I told my father I wanted to be an actor when I was in high school. He steered me away from it, saying that I wouldn't make any money. Years later, after he passed, my mother gave me an old edition of Viola Spolin's Improvisational Theater Games with my father's notes penciled in the margins. I think deep down, he wanted to be an actor, and would have been great at it, but wasn't willing to take the risk.

Tell us about your character in An Enemy of the People.
Peter Stockman is a lifelong resident of Cherokee and its current mayor. He also is Tammy's brother. It's easy to view Peter as another "corrupt" gloryhound politician, but I've come to realize that he understands that every choice has consequences. While I think he would like to operate in a black and white world, he knows that's impossible. As a result, he makes policy decisions that are intended to maximize economic opportunities for the townspeople, balancing them against huge and uncontrollable risks - time and nature.

What's next for you?
I'm enrolled in iO's level 5B, which means I'll hopefully end up on a Harold team soon. I may tryout for Second City's TourCo and/or a Playground incubator team, etc. I'll shoot for another play in the fall and more commercials. Of course, if the producers for LOST call and need me on the island, my bags are packed.

An Enemy of the People runs May 4-30, 2009.
Tickets are available through our website!

No comments: