Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Meet the Cast! – Marika Engelhardt

Part two in a series of interviews with the cast of Dog in a Manger at Red Tape Theatre.

1. Where are you from?
I'm from Portland, Oregon.

2. What is the first stage play you remember seeing?
The first play I really remember seeing, and more importantly, liking, was a production of Waiting for Godot at the college where my father taught. It's one of his favorite plays (and now mine), and I found the show really moving. The actors in that show really have to explore what it means to be on this earth, and it demands intelligence and bravery.

3. When/why did you start acting?
I started acting when I was little, I would write fake tv commercials and perform them live for my parents. I saw other people acting and I thought: that looks like an awesome job!

4. Tell us about your character in Dog in a Manger.
Diana is a countess during the Spanish inquisition. She is the ultimate matriarch. She is a powerful woman, someone who has to take charge and provide for those around her. She comes across as cold and temperamental, but those traits are what help her manage her enormous responsibilities.

5. Do you have a favorite moment/scene in the play?
My favorite moment in the play is probably a monologue in which I express my private thoughts about love. It is a rare moment for the audience to see Diana in a vulnerable moment, and I think it shows how human she is underneath and how important it is to maintain a controlled exterior to the world.

6. What’s next for you?
What's next? Continue to get to know the Chicago arts community and involve myself with projects that excite me!

Dog in a Manger runs October 2-26.
Visit www.redtapetheatre.com for details and to purchase tickets online!

No comments: