- 1828 Born on March 20 in the town of Skien on the coast of Norway.
- 1850 Catiline - regarded by many as Ibsen's first play
- 1866 Brand
- 1867 Peer Gynt
- 1877 The Pillars of Society
- 1879 A Doll's House
- 1881 Ghosts (Being produced by Shaw Chicago, 4/18-5/11, 2009)
- 1882 An Enemy of the People (Being produced by Red Tape Theatre, 5/4-30, 2009)
- 1884 The Wild Duck (Being produced by the Court Theatre, 1/15-2/15, 2009)
- 1886 Rosmersholm
- 1888 The Lady from the Sea
- 1890 Hedda Gabler (Being produced by Vintage Theatre, 2/6-22, 2009 and Raven Theatre, 4/28-6/27, 2009)
- 1892 The Master Builder (produced by The Building Stage in Fall 2008.)
- 1894 Little Eyolf
- 1895 John Gabriel Borkman
- 1899 When We Dead Awaken
- 1906 Died on May 23 after a series of strokes.
From Ibsen by Michael Meyer, Penguin Books 1967 :
"At noon on 22 May he opened his eyes, pressed Dr Bull's hand and murmered: 'Thank God!' A little later the nurse said to others in the room that he seemed to be a little better. From the bed came a single word: 'Tvertimod!' ('On the contrary!'). It was the last word Ibsen ever spoke."